Wednesday, November 7, 2012

An Interview With Galen Rose!



Hi Galen!  I’m so happy to have you visiting with us today!  Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer a few quick questions.  Let’s get right to it:

Can you tell us what your work space looks like?
Hi, Robyn!  Right now, my workspace is a mess. I’m not sure what happened because last week it was clear. Can I blame my cats?


Sure!  *smile*  What do you think are the best and worst parts of being a writer for you?
The best part is seeing people reading your work. Having them tell you how much they enjoyed it and ask when the next book is coming out.

The worst part for me, is the promo. I don’t enjoy it and find it tends to get in the way of writing.


Yes, I’m learning that the marketing side of things isn’t nearly as much fun as the writing!  Do you have a specific writing style?
I like writing in first person. I know it is not everyone’s cup of tea, especially in romance, but I feel I can get inside the head of the main characters that way.

 
That’s so unusual!  Makes me want to read your book even more!  Please tell us how you came up with the title for  A Place to Rest My Heart.
For most of the time while writing A Place to Rest My Heart, the title was ‘Laney’s Law’. But at the end that title made it sound more like a western theme.  I had to think about what my main character wanted most in life, and that was a place for her to truly allow herself to love and trust someone.


Where do you get your ideas?
I watch people all the time. Then I throw in what-if scenarios and go from there. The idea for A Place to Rest My Heart just popped into my head on a long drive and then would not leave my head, so I had to write it down. At the time I had no idea a novel was being born.


Do you read much?  If so, what book are you reading now and what rating would you give it?
Lately, I have been reading a lot of Carla Neggers books and Catherine Coulter. They are both five-star writers and I really enjoy their characters.

 
Are there any new authors that have garnered your interest?
Nikkie Locke, I really enjoyed Unbound and can’t wait for more.


What are you working on now?  Can you share a little of it here?
I am working on two projects right now. One is a left-at-the-altar adventure in Maui and the other is set in Washington about a woman who has not left her house in years and the man who helps her take that first step to love.

 
They both sound like something worth exploring! Do you ever experience writer's block?  What do you do to overcome?
Writer’s block is my arch-enemy, and it is a sneaky one too. To overcome it, I make myself step away from the project and do something that requires some manual labor. And if that doesn’t work, I head to the beach and take a long walk.

 
One last question, Galen:  What advice do you have to help other authors improve their writing?
Take advantage of all that RWA has to offer with writing classes, read your genre and don’t hesitate to work with a critique partner.

 
I know readers will want to find you and your book, A Place to Rest My Heart.  Can you leave us information on that?


Facebook:  http://www.galenrose.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/galnrose/

 

To order A Place to Rest My Heart:




  

Thanks again for spending time with us, Galen.  Good luck with your new projects and with your marketing! 


To our readers, what project are YOU currently working on?  Can you share a little of it here?  Or if you’ve read Galen’s book, tell us what you thought of it, please.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment